Sunday, January 16, 2011

UnNaked Men Singing

I love music.  All kinds of music.  But I especially like choral music.  My favorite choral music is that which is sung by men’s choirs.  I also love mixed choirs, and women’s choirs.  Music sung by an all–male choir, though, is far–and–away my favorite.

I’m not sure why this is.  My favorite theory is that my fondness for all–male choirs stems from the seminary choirs that I heard and then sang in when I was in high school and college.  The choir at St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, New York, was great.  Granted, we sang only religious/liturgical music, but we sang a huge variety, from Gregorian Chant to 20th–century composers like Randall Thompson.  Thanks to our Directors (in my time, Fr. Kevin, Fr. Regis, and Fr. Florian), we were well–trained and the training showed when we sang.  I loved singing with those guys, and, when I couldn’t sign, I loved listening to them.

Men’s choruses have a power and a sensitivity that isn’t found in other kinds of choral music.  A chorus can sign a piece such as The Battle Hymn of the Republic, and knock your socks off with their power. . .

A men's chorus can sing a gentle lullaby-like song that gives hope to a young baby, and overwhelm with their insight and gentleness. . .

A chorus can sing a hit song from a hit Broadway show and give it new meaning...

I have become a fan of gay men's choruses. The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus (from San Francisco, obviously) and the Turtle Creek Chorale (from Dallas) are two of my favorites.  They can be cute. . .

or very serious. . .

I hope anyone who comes to this post listens to these men and enjoys this great music.  Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment