Thursday, January 6, 2011

Writing Here

I didn’t post anything here yesterday.  That was the first time since I started this blog that I haven’t posted.  Now I feel guilty and lazy.

I like the discipline of writing for this space.  The goal of at least one piece a day gives me a handy way to keep up with my writing and my typing, and it is a great way to vent.

I actually had written something for yesterday. . . a rant about James Dobson and the family values bullshit he propagates.  When I read it over, however, I decided not to post because I already have written three times about what I think of these hate–mongers, and enough is enough.

I was writing here for a while before Beni and I talked about this blog.  It isn’t that I don’t want her to read it, but I want this to be my safety zone where I can write without having to discuss.  Beni would agree with much of what I’ve written, I believe, but she would want to add her perspective and talk about it for an hour or two, and that isn’t what I had in mind when I started this.

I was reluctant to start this blog because I kept asking myself, “Why?”  What good would it do?  Who cares what I think?  Isn’t it a tad narcissistic to “publish” my random and highly opinionated thoughts for the whole world to read?  Once I started, though, it didn’t seem so narcissistic nor do I worry much about who cares about what’s here.  Even if no one else reads it, it will serve a huge purpose for me.  It gives me a chance once a day to think, organize my thoughts, and write—all activities that I consider important.  The blog has the added benefit of being a kind of archive, if I can keep doing it.  The kids will be able to look through these ramblings and maybe get to know me better.  Once I’m dead or demented, there won’t be an opportunity to fill them in on the background of my life, present and past.  These pieces will let them know what I experienced in my life, what I thought about, and what I believed.

When Beni found out that I was writing this blog, she said she thought it was a good idea.  She said that it would be a good place to expose all my strong opinions, of which there are legion!!!  How well she knows me!

So I am thankful for this space and thankful to anyone who stops by here.

No comments:

Post a Comment