Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Republican Christianity. . . or Modern Heresy 101


Earlier this year, Bruce Linder posted an insightful article on Addictinginfo.org entitled, You May Be a Republican If. . .  Justin Rosario posted a Facebook link to Bruce’s piece today.  If you’re interested, it’s excellent and you can find it at http://www.addictinginfo.org/?page_id=259.

I enjoyed Bruce’s piece very much.  Then, as I almost always do, I read the comments.  An apparent republican named Cathy wrote what I’m sure she considers a devastating rebuttal to the points Bruce makes.  Here is her comment:

“You Might be a Republican if….. you might be a republican if you actually work hard for your money and don’t want to give it to losers that are too lazy to work….you might be a republican if you pay for your own kids school lunch….you might be a republican if you actually believe in God….etc….etc..etc…”

There were other republican–written comments on Bruce’s piece, but Cathy’s got my goat, as my mother would say.  I know it’s a waste of time to argue with republicans, but I’m beginning to understand that it’s also a waste of time to try to make sense of their beliefs.  Mindful of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s admonition that, “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines,” I still have to point out the huge inconsistency in Cathy’s republican mind.

She writes that belief in God is a hallmark of the republican party.  She doesn’t specify what God it is that republicans believe in.  In my view, it is the god of Materialism, but I suspect that dear Cathy considers herself a Christian, as do so many members of that benighted party.  So Cathy is a believing Christian.  Good for her!

Cathy, a believer, has problems giving her money to “losers that are too lazy to work.”  I’m sure she is talking about poor people who need welfare, even while they work jobs paying minimum wage.  I imagine she includes in this group workers who have lost their jobs and are collecting unemployment.

Cathy, a good Christian, is incensed that some parents in this country don’t pay for their kids’ school lunch.  Again, I imagine she is talking about the poor and the unemployed.  She seems to ignore the cause of much of this poverty and unemployment:   the crimes committed by mostly–republican Wall Street bankers, crimes that have never been investigated or brought to trial.

Cathy is apparently a believer in a uniquely American brand of Christianity, one that has been preached by televangelists whose seminary education seems to have been provided by kindergarten teachers.  This modern theology equates wealth, success, and strength with God’s favor.  These Christians believe that people who are “right with Jesus” get every material thing they need, and then some.  These Christians believe that no true believer is jobless for very long, because Jesus just wouldn’t do that to one of his chosen.  These Christians believe that whatever cause they support will triumph because to oppose their causes is a sign of weakness of spirit and alliance with the darkness.

Cathy’s statement is bullshit.

Listen to what Jesus taught:

>>>Then the King will say to those on his right, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”

Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?   When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?   When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?”

The King will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”  (Matthew 25/34–40)<<<

Cathy’s republican philosophy is as shallow as her “Christian” theology.  Neither her philosophy nor her theology would be worthy of serious attention if it weren’t for the fact that republican politicians are proposing legislation every day based on this nonsense.

St. Teresa of Avila wrote about her life–long struggle with faith and with Jesus’s  commandment that she love her fellow human beings. “If this is how God treats His friends, it’s no wonder He has so few of them.”  A vigorous study of Christian theology and the Scriptures shows that true Christianity is difficult.  Jesus in the Gospels offers no material rewards.  Jesus in the Gospels is the friend of the have–nots and almost always the enemy of the haves.  The Jesus of the Gospel said, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Matthew 19/21).

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful job of holding christians to what they profess, but do not live. You could also mention the eye of the needle and the rich man. Although I'm not a christian, I'd like to share this.

    ReplyDelete